KHLONG AYODHYA (คลองอโยธยา)
Text & map by Tricky Vandenberg - March 2014
Khlong Ayodhya also called Khlong Wat Doem was a man-made short-cut canal
running north-south and dug in a loop of the
Pa Sak River, which river bed became later
Khlong Hantra. The canal is today defunct, but some small stretches still can be seen.

The canal likely existed prior the establishment of Ayutthaya in 1351, as part of a
pre-Ayutthayan city outpost founded by the Khmer who ruled at Lopburi in the 11th
Century and held control over the central Chao Phraya River basin.

At the origin of the canal (north) was one of the four floating markets of Ayutthaya
situated below the shrine of
Jao Pun Thao Kong (1) [1].

The canal in its southern extension was called
Khlong Kudi Dao, starting at the crossing
of
Khlong Wat Pradu near Wat Kudi Dao  and running further south into Khlong
Kramang.

On the west bank of Khlong Ayodhya stood
Wat Dusitharam, Wat Ayodhya, Wat Bot
Racha Decha and Wat Jakrawan; on its east bank Wat Phlai Chumphon and Wat Sing
Narai.

Footnotes:

(1) The location of this old shrine is not known to the author.

References:

[1] Markets and Production in the City of Ayutthaya before 1767: Translation and
Analysis of Part of the Description of Ayutthaya - Chris Baker - Journal of the Siam
Society, Vol. 99, 2011.
View of a stretch of Khlong Ayodhya
(View of a stretch of Khlong Ayodhya)
View of a stretch of Khlong Ayodhya
(View of a stretch of Khlong Ayodhya)