Text, map & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - March 2011
Khlong Pha Lai or the Canal of the Patterned Cloth was a canal situated off the city
island in the northern area running partly in present Tha Wasukri and Khlong Sra Bua

The canal is defunct, but there are still some stretches existing from this canal. Most of the
waterway though, has been filled up.

Khlong Pha Lai was in fact a loop of the Sra Bua Canal and split off from the latter near
Wat Kamphaeng. The canal had its mouth west of Wat Mai (Khlong Sra Bua) and ran
adjacent to Khlong Sra Bua into the old Lopburi River, a stretch of water called today
the City Canal (Khlong Mueang).

Chao Ya stood on its west bank, while Wat Raeng, Wat Khwid and Wat Pa Daeng
were on its east side.

Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926, still indicates this canal.

Khlong Pla Mo branched off from Khlong Pha Lai between Wat Pa Daeng and
Wat Kuti
(Extract of a begin-20th century map)
(Last traces of an ancient canal)
(View of Khlong Pha Lai)
(View of Khlong Pha Lai)
KHLONG PHA LAI (คลองผ้าลาย)