WANON BRIDGE (สะพานวานร)
Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - November 2009
Reviewed April 2012
Saphan Wanon or the "Monkey Bridge" is a ruin of an old bridge located on the city
island in the southern part of Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai sub-district. The remains of the
bridge are situated behind the
Ayutthaya Historical Study Center. Wat Am Mae
(vanished) stood before in its vicinity (south).

The brick bridge was built over
Khlong Pratu Thep Mi, which connected the old
Lopburi River (later Khlong Mueang or City Canal) in the north with the Chao Phraya
River
in the south at Pratu Thep Mi. The northern part of the canal was called by the
locals
Lam Khu Pak Sra and cut through the Bueng Phra Ram area. Khlong Pratu Thep
Mi was partly filled in after the fall of Ayutthaya in 1767 and is as thus at present
inexistent.

The foundations of the Wanon Bridge are still visible. The brick bridge in European style
was probably identical to
Saphan Pa Than. It was an arched construction with three
sharply curved bows, the middle one higher and wider than the two others, making it
possible for boats to pass underneath. The bridge has not been restored as yet.
Wanon Bridge from the south
Wanon Bridge from the north
Wanon Bridge from the east
(Wanon Bridge from the south)
(Wanon Bridge from the east)
(Wanon Bridge from the north)
Wanon Bridge in earlier times
(Wanon Bridge in earlier times)