|FIRE STREET (ถนนไฟไหม้)
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - May 2012
|Fire Street (1) was an ancient brick road mentioned on Bellin's map published in l'Abbé
Prévost's "Histoire Générale des Voyages" of 1751; a map of Ayutthaya named “Plan de
la Ville de Siam, Capitale du Royaume de ce Nom; Levé par un Ingénieur Français en
The street started south of Wat Maha That and led from Khlong Pratu Khao Pluak
straight towards Wat Phra Ram, the funeral site of the founder of Ayutthaya, King
Ramathibodhi I (r. 1351 - 1369). The road ran parallel with Elephant Street and Palace
Street through Bueng Phra Ram.
The brick road was reconstructed by the Fine Arts Department in the Historical Park of
Ayutthaya, the latter being part of UNESCO's world heritage. The reconstruction was
probably based on Bellin's map. The French mapmaker indicates on his map the "Rue au
Feu" (street of lights) which leads to the "Grande Pagode" (Wat Phra Ram).
Also John Andrews (1736 - 1809) engraved an identical map on a copper plate in 1776
(based on Bellin's map but featuring English denomination), which was published in "Plans
of the Principal Cities in the World" by John Stockdale. The name "Fire Street" is taken
from his map.
No traces of the street are indicated on the mid-19th century map, but Phraya Boran
Rachathanin (PBR) features "La rue au Feu" on his map drafted in 1926, exactly on the
place were the brick road is now.
Remarkable is the location of Wat Phong on the south side of the street on PBR's map.
Wat Phong today is located on the north side; PBR only indicates on the north side a
small islet without a temple. PBR's location of Wat Phong stills exist, but the area is
covered in vegetation. The reconstructed site of Wat Phong on the north side of Fire
Street today, is likely historically not correct and could have been the remains of for
example Wat Talapat.
|(Rue au Feu on Bellin's map)
|(Fire Street on Andrews' map)
|(Extract of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted
|(Pictures taken in Bueng Phra Ram Park - April 2012)
|(Pictures taken in Bueng Phra Ram Park - January 2013)
Situation unfortunately did not improve