WAT BOROM JAKRAWAT (วัดบรมจักร์วัติ)
Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg
Updated April 2016
Detail of a 1974 Fine Arts Department map
(Detail of a 1974 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Dr. Surat Lertlum, Chulachomklao Royal
Military Academy)
Detail of Engelbert Kaempfer's draft map - Anno 1690
(Detail of Engelbert Kaempfer's draft map - Anno
1690)
Wat Borom Jakrawat is a defunct monastery once located on the city island of
Ayutthaya in the
Historical Park in Pratu Chai Sub-district.

On a 1974 Fine Arts Department map, Wat Borom Jakrawat is indicated north and
adjacent of
Wat Borom Phuttharam on the west bank of Khlong Chakrai Noi. Wat Phra
Ngam was situated just opposite the canal bank on its east.

Wat Borom Jakrawat is mentioned in the old document
Khamhaikan Khun Luang Ha
Wat
. [1] A wooden bridge over Khlong Chakrai Noi, beside the Royal Goods
Storehouse, called the
Wat Jakrawat Bridge led to Wat Borom Jakrawat. Probably
based on this old document, the site was mentioned on the 1974 Fine Arts Department
[FAD] map (1).

On Engelbert Kaempfer's draft map of 1690 we find a bridge north of
Wat Suan Luang
Khangkhao in a location below the storehouse and crossing the Chakrai Noi Canal to
Wat Singharam. This bridge is believed to be the Wat Jakrawat Bridge. At the time of the
visit of Kaempfer, Wat Borom Phuttharam was likely in construction.

In my opinion the location of the monastery was wrongly placed on the 1974 Fine Arts
Department map (1). Based on the lay-out of Kaempfer's map and the text in the old
document, Wat Borom Jakrawat (or Jakkarawat) was likely the alternative name for Wat
Singharam.

Footnotes:

(1) Later FAD maps does not mention Wat Borom Jakrawat anymore, which leads to
the presumption that either there were no traces found in this location or that the area
never has been surveyed nor excavated by archaeologists.

References:

[1] Testimony of the King Who Entered a Wat - Bangkok: Sukhothai Thammathirat
University, 2004.