WAT BOROM PHUTTHARAM (วัดบรมพุทธาราม)
Wat Borom Phuttharam (also Borommaphuttharam) or the Monastery of the Grand
Buddha
is a restored ruin from the Late Ayutthaya period (1629 - 1767 AD). The site
consists of  an ordination hall (ubosot), sermon hall (vihara) and two main chedis. The
ordination hall is 40 meter long and 11 meter wide, divided into 3 sections. There  are 2
entrances: one in the northeast and one in the southwest. The ubosot houses a sandstone
Buddha image in meditation posture. The temple was also known  as
Wat Krabueang
Khlueap
, the glaze-tiled temple referring to the yellow glazed-tile roof of the ordination
hall. Pieces of these tiles can still be  found in and around
Khlong Chakrai Noi in its
vicinity.

King Phetracha (r.1688-1703 - Ban Phlu Luang Dynasty) had it constructed in 1689 in
area of his home town, named Patong District. It took 2  years to complete its
construction. Following the Fine Arts Department it was dedicated to a community of
dwelling-monks, especially several high-ranking  priests.

The Supreme Holy Lord Omnipotent, for His part, thereupon made a holy royal
resolution, saying, "The Village of Leaf Wrapper Forest is the location of a station
of glorious, royal, grand good fortune. It is appropriate this Self should construct
on it a holy temple." Thereupon the King commanded that a crystal wall, a holy
recitation hall, a preaching hall, a seminary, and residences and dormitories be
constructed. The King commanded Mun Cantharat, a master glazier, to glaze
yellow colored tiles to cover the roofs of the holy recitation hall, the preaching hall
and the seminary. Thereupon the King bestowed a holy name on the temple calling
it the
Monastery of the Temple of the Paramount Buddha. The lord abbot who
had been invited to come in and reside there was appointed to be a Holy Royal
Abbot named Reverend Yan Somphot. The King made a holy royal donation, in
reverence to the Holy Triple Gems, of holy royal endowed lands in great amounts,
the taxes in kind from which were to accrue to that holy temple. When [the
construction] was finished, a festival to dedicate it was held for three days and
three nights.
[1]

King Borommakot (r.1733-1758) gave the order to restore this temple completely.
Three new doors inlaid with mother-of-pearl were added. The  doors bear an inscription
describing their commissioning for Wat Borommaphuttharam in 1751. The doors were
presumably removed after the destruction of  Ayutthaya in 1767. One pair of the doors
was installed in 1939 at the scripture library (
Hor Phra Monthien Dharma) from Wat
Pra Kaeo or the Royal Monastery  of the Emerald Buddha; another pair of doors was
set up at Wat Benjamabophit Dusitharam, both in Bangkok. The third and last set of
doors was cut down to  remove the damaged parts, made into a cabinet and is exhibited
in the Bangkok's National Museum.

The ruin is located on the city island on the Rajaphat Institute premises, south of Rojana
Rd and adjacent to former Khlong Chakrai Noi in geographical coordinates: 14° 20'
51.34" N, 100° 33' 40.73" E.

References:

[1] The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya - Richard D. Cushman (2006) - page 320 /
Source: Phan Canthanumat.
View of the ordination hall
View of the ordination hall
Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - October 2009
Main Buddha image in the ordination hall
View from Khlong Chakrai Noi
View from the north
(View of the ordination hall)
(Main Buddha image in the ordination hall)
(View from Khlong Chakrai Noi)
(View from the north)
Mother-of-pearl inlaid library found at Wat Borom Phuttharam
(Mother-of-pearl inlaid library found at
Wat Borom Phuttharam on exposition at
the
Chao Sam Phraya Museum)
(Buddha heads excavated at the site of Wat Borom Phuttharam and displayed at the vihara of
Phra Mongkhol Bophit)
(View of the ordination hall)
Detail of a 19th century map
Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno 1926
Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map
(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy Sam Chao
Phraya Museum)
(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
1926
)
(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)
Source: Phra Rachawang Lae Wat Boran Nai Changwat Phra Nakhon Ayutthaya (2511 BE)