WAT CHANA MAN (วัดชะนะมาร)
Wat Chana Man or the "Monastery of Victory over Mara" was situated on
Ayutthaya's city island in the
Historical Park in Pratu Chai sub-district.

On
Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926, the temple was located on the
crossing of
Khlong Chakrai Yai (called Khlong Tho in its northern stretch) - and Khlong
Pa Mo, an extension of Khlong Klaep aka Khlong Tha Phra. On its north stood Wat
Rak (no traces anymore); opposite Khlong Chakrai Yai was Wat Yi Rai (aka (Wat Pi
Rai - no traces anymore) (1) and on its east was
Wat Nong (aka Wat Thong - no traces
anymore).

I think this temple is mentioned under the name
Wat Som Yai on a mid-19th century
map. Wat Som Yai stood south of Wat Rak and northeast of Wat Pa Phrai. To the south
was
Wat Som Noi. The monastery stood along the east bank of Khlong Chakrai Yai and
at the confluence with Khlong Klaep. On the opposite site of Khlong Chakrai Yai and on
the southern bank of Khlong Klaep stood Wat Yi Rai, while on the northern bank was
Wat Salak. The mid-19th century map indicates the presence of a chedi. Taking as
reference point Khlong Klaep on both maps, the location of Wat Som Yai is
denominated on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map as Wat Chana Man.

There are no traces of foundations or brick work at ground level and the temple is
classified as disappeared.

Historical data about the monastery and its construction is unknown.

The site must have been approximately situated in Geo Coord: 14° 20' 52.69" N, 100°
33' 25.69" E.

Footnotes:

(1) It should be noted that Phraya Boran Rachathanin positioned Wat Yi Rai on the
northern bank of Khlong Klaep.
Extract of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno 1926
Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - April 2009
Updated March 2011, March 2014
(Extract of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
1926)
Extract of a 19th century map
(Extract of a 19th century map - Courtesy Sam Chao
Phraya Museum)
Extract of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map
(Extract of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)