|WAT CHAOFA RASAMI (วัดเจ้าฟ้ารัศมิ)
|Wat Chaofa Rasami or the Monastery of Princess Rasami was located outside the city
island in the eastern area at Phai Ling sub-district. It stood adjacent and east of Wat Jaofa
The monastery was situated on the confluence of three canals being Khlong Ban Bat,
Khlong Kramang and Khlong Dusit. The temple was set up on the south bank of Khlong
Ban Bat with its mouth at the (new) Pa Sak River and on the west bank of Khlong Dusit, a
canal which lead towards Wat Yai Chai Mongkhon.
Apparently there were no visible traces remaining of this monastery at ground level.
Presently the area is big parking lot with hangars for large vehicles.
Its historical background and period of construction are unknown. The Royal Chronicles of
Ayutthaya speaks of a Lady Ratsami, who was one of the six daughters of the major queen
of King Borommakot (r. 1733-1758) and thus a daughter of the king; King Borommakot’s
major queen bore the title Aphainuchit, and descended from the royal family line of King
Narai (r. 1656-1688).  As it was customary at that time to establish a monastery on the
funeral pyre grounds of Royals, this location could be the place where Lady Ratsami has
been cremated or her remains has been deposed (It should be said that normally the
remains of members of the Royal family were deposed at Wat Sri Sanphet). Another
explanation could be that this temple had the sponsorship of Princess Ratsami before.
 The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya - Richard D. Cushman (2006) - page 422 / Source:
|Text by Tricky Vandenberg - September 2009
Updated April 2012
|(Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)
It is not at all certain that in this area ever stood a monastery as it is only mentioned on the 1993 FAD map. In Tamnan Krung Kao we read that
there was a palace situated along Khlong Ban Bat east of Wat Phichai and situated close to Wat Photharam. The text speaks of a single palace and is
not referring to this location. The palace known by the locals as the Palace of Jao Fa Dok Dua, belonged to Jao Fa Rasami Sri Suriyawong Phong
Kasatri and was the refuge of ex-King Uthumphon (r. 1758) after the Burmese attack of Ayutthaya in 1760. 
 Phraya Boran Rachathanin - Tamnan Krung Kao (1907) - pages 82-3.
|Addendum by Tricky Vandenberg - April 2013