WAT CHO (วัดเฉาะ)
View from the east
View from the west
Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - July 2009
Review April 2011, April 2013
(View from the east)
(View from the west)
Wat Cho (1) is located on the city island in the southwest area in Pratu Chai sub-district,
northwest of the
Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park. The site is part of the Ayutthaya
Historical Park. The ruins of the temple lay east of U-Thong Rd, more or less opposite
Wat Chai Watthanaram. The ruins can be easily reached.

Wat Cho stood on the south bank and close to the mouth of
Khlong Tha Phra (also
called Khlong Klaep). At the mouth was a water gate called
Pratu Khlong
Klaep
(Pratu Khlong Tha Phra) and a boat landing in connection with Wat Lot Chong,
called
Phra Racha Wang Lang Landing.

The foundations of the monastery are still visible, being likely from a sermon hall. No
traces of boundary stones were found. The entry of the hall is to the east. The floor of the
main chedi is situated on the west side of the hall. The hall was surrounded by an inner
wall, while the whole complex was protected by an outer wall.

The history and period of construction of Wat Cho is not known.

Wat Cho is indicated on a
mid-19th century map in an identical position as on Phraya
Boran Rachathanin's (PBR) map drafted in 1926, east of Wat Phra Ngam. Wat Maha
Saman was situated south.

On the oldest map
Wat Chang was located opposite, on the north bank of the canal; but
PBR indicates a cluster of four temples in that location.

The site is located in Geo Coord: +14° 20' 45.64" N, +100° 32' 44.10" E.

Footnotes:

Cho (เฉาะ.) = to chop, break or slit open or (เฉาะ ๆ ) = comfortable.
Detail of a 19th century map
(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
1926)
(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy Sam Chao
Phraya Museum)
(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)