|WAT JAN 5 (วัดจัน)
|Wat Jan or the Monastery of the Gold Apple(1) is a defunct temple formerly located
on the city island outside the Historical Park in Ho Ratanachai Sub-district.
The monastery was situated between Wat Rong Ma (aka Wat Khok Ma) and Wat Pho
Ngam along the old eastern city wall and the Front city Canal. The temple must have
been situated near the location of the present Jao Pho Jui shrine (ศาลเจ้าพ่อจุ้ย)
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
The temple is not mentioned on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926, but
features on a map drafted in the mid 19th century.
The site must have been approximately located in Geo Coord: 14° 21' 29.42" N, 100°
34' 43.51" E.
(1) Gold apple tree (Diospyros decandra).
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg
Updated May 2014
|(Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N)