|WAT JINGJOK 1 (วัดจิ้งจอก)
|Wat Jingjok or the Monastery of the House Lizard was located on Ayutthaya's city
island outside the Historical Park in Pratu Chai sub-district. It was situated on the actual
premises of the Chao Sam Phraya Museum, North of Rojana Rd, in an area
called before Thung Khaek, roughly translated the "Muslim Field".
There are no traces anymore visible of the monastery above ground level. Historical data
about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
A mid-19th century map shows Wat Jingjok south of Wat Dawadung and east of Wat
San Jao Thong, north of the former brick road being an extension of Chinese Street.
This location does not match with Phraya Boran Rachathanin's (PBR) map drafted in
1926, which indicates this temple southeast of Wat Pa Nai near the confluence of Khlong
Chakrai Noi and the connection canal leading to Khlong Pratu Thep Mi. As thus PBR
situates Wat Jingjok more north.
The denomination on both maps is also different. The mid-19th century maps shows
วัดจิงจก, while PBR writes วัดจิ้กจอก leaving the interpretation open between
respectively the "Monastery of the House Lizard" and the "Monastery of the Fox".
This author opts for the first translation.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - January 2009
Updated February 2011, May 2014
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a mid-19th century map)
|Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)