|WAT KHAE (4)
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - April 2016
|Wat Khae or the Monastery of the Trumpet Tree (1) was located off the city island
in the northern area of Ayutthaya in Wat Tum Sub-district.
The temple was situated on the south bank of northern arm of the former loop in the
old Lopburi River. The today defunct monastery stood east of Wat Chang Yai, west
of Wat Tha Yak and north-east of Wat Pho.
The monastery is mentioned on a Monthon Krung Kao military map drafted in 1916
and based on a survey in 1915. The location was confirmed by local people during a
visit to the area.
No traces of the monastery can be seen at ground level.
The site is located in geographical coordinates: 14° 24' 8.16" N, 100° 32' 31.11" E.
RR160410 - Interview with local people in situ on 10 April 2016.
| (Detail of a Monthon Krung Kao 1916 map)