|WAT KHOK RAENG (วัดโคกแร้ง)
|Wat Khok Raeng or the Monastery of the Mound of the Vultures was located off
Ayutthaya's city island in the southern area in Samphao Lom sub-district. (1)
The monastery was situated in Bang Kraja area (2). Wat Sangkha Jai stood in the north,
while Wat Kuti was on its east.
There are no traces anymore visible of the monastery above ground level.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown. On the purpose of
some of these temples, see Wat Raeng.
The site is not indicated on a mid-19th century map, but is mentioned on Phraya Boran
Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926.
Some remains of the temple were excavated by the Fine Arts Department (FAD) in Geo
Coord: +14° 20' 43.67" N, +100° 34' 18.99" E. The temple was renamed by the FAD
as Wat Sam Jin or the "Monastery of the Three Chinese". 
(1) Literally the sub-district of the capsized junk.
(2) Bang (บาง) is a village on a river bank.
 Digital map of Ayutthaya (2007) - Courtesy Fine Arts Department - 3th Region.
|Text & map by Tricky Vandenberg - July 2010
Updated June 2011, October 2014
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)