|WAT KHOK YAI MI (วัดโคกยายมี)
|Wat Khok Yai Mi or the Monastery of the Mound of Grandmother Mi was located
on the city island in the southern area of Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai sub-district, east of
Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park.
The monastery stood on the west bank of Khlong Pratu Chai, a canal situated between
Khlong Chakrai Yai and Khlong Chakrai Noi.
It lie south of Wat Khok Khema and Wat Khok Khemi; east of Wat Hip. Wat Prasat
stood on its east. Wat Khok Yai Ma was situated the most closest to the present Chao
There are no traces anymore visible of the monastery above ground level, however a
commemoration sala exists on the premises of the Ayutthaya Hospital.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
Wat Khok Yai Mi is indicated on a 19th century map and on Phraya Boran
Rachathanin's (PBR) map drafted in 1926. The temple is situated south of what PBR
mentions as Thanon Rong Krai (street). Wat Khok Yai Mi seems to have been
situated on an island formed by Khlong Chakrai Yai, Khlong Pratu Chai, the present
Chao Phraya River (1) and a canal of unknown name, which ran on its northern side;
linking Khlong Chakrai Yai with Khlong Chakrai Noi. The temple stood within the city
The site is situated in Geo Coord: 14° 20' 34.03" N, 100° 33' 35.02" E.
(1) The Lopburi River in the Ayutthayan era (1350-1767 AD).
|Text, maps & photograph by Tricky Vandenberg - July 2010
Updated January 2014
|(Sala on Ayutthaya Hospital premises)
|(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy Sam Chao
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)