|WAT KHUN PHROM 1 (วัดขุนพรหม)
|Wat Khun Phrom or the Monastery of Brahma was situated on the city island in the
central part of Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai sub-dustrict. The temple was located on the west
bank of Khlong Chakrai Yai (in its northern extension called Khlong Tho).
Wat Khok Khamin (defunct) stood in the north, while Wat Kao (defunct) was in the
The ancient site was cleared in the early 1970's during construction works of an
expansion project of the (former) Ayutthaya Agriculture School (Withayalai
Kasetrakam). There are no traces of foundations or brick work anymore at ground level
and the temple is classified as disappeared. 
The site is mentioned on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926. Historical
data about the monastery and its construction is unknown. On the 2007 GIS FAD map
the site is called Wat Pa.
Wat Khun Phrom was located in Geo Coord: 14° 21' 0.50" N, 100° 33' 20.56" E.
 Bangkok Post - 09 Dec 1972 - Work suspended on Ayutthaya sites. The article
states that “machinery engaged on the Ayutthaya Agriculture School extensions ploughed
up the ruins of at least five temples in the disputed area”. The work at the school was
stopped after students had sent a petition to the NEC. The Director General of the Fine
Arts Department at that time stated he was certain the damage had already been done.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - October 2009
Updated December 2014
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno