|WAT KHWIT 1 (วัดขวิด)
|Wat Khwit or the Monastery of the Horn was located off the city island in the northern
area of Ayutthaya in Khlong Sra Bua Sub-district.
The monastery was situated in between Khlong Pha Lai and Khlong Ban Pla Mo in area
called before Thung Kaeo. Wat Pa Daeng stood in the south, while Wat Saliang was in
the northeast, opposite Khlong Ban Pla Mo.
Phraya Boran Rachathanin's 1926 map shows Wat Raeng on the north side of Wat
Khwit, but this is not correct as it is generally accepted that Wat Raeng stood north of
Wat Laiso. Wat Laiso is two hundred meter north of Wat Khwit. The indication of Wat
Chao Ya at the level of Wat Khwit proved also incorrect.
Wat Khwit was surrounded by water; the two canals in the east (Khlong Pla Mo) and
west (Khlong Pha Lai) and the connecting canals in the north and the south, the latter
separating Wat Khwit from Wat Pa Daeng.
In situ we still find traces of this monastery. Brickwork and scattered bricks recalls it
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
The site is indicated on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map [PBR] drafted in 1926 as on
Fine Arts Department maps drafted in 1974 and 1993.
The ruin is situated in Geo Coord: 14° 21' 54.53" N, 100° 33' 40.63" E.
|Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - July 2010
Reviewed January 2012
|(Remaining brickwork in situ)
|Site view of Wat Khwit. Photographs taken on 11 January 2012.
(Photographs by Tricky Vandenberg)
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)