|WAT LOT CHONG (วัดลอดช่อง)
|Wat Lot Chong is an active temple located off the city island in the western area of
Ayutthaya in Ban Pom sub-district. Khlong Klaep with its mouth at the Chao Phraya
River ran south of it. In the northeast stood the presently defunct Wat Racha Phli and in
the south Wat Chai Watthanaram.
In situ we find an ordination hall (Th: ubosot), an open sided vihara with seating Buddha
statue and other monastic structures. The ubosot was built in the Early Ayutthaya style
(1351 - 1488), but its construction dates from the Late Ratanakosin period (after 1851
AD). The hall has two elevated porches with each two entries and the porch roof is
supported by four columns. The roof of the building is three-tiered, while the longest
walls have five windows each. The ordination hall is surrounded by eight "bai sema" or
boundary stones, placed in the cardinal and inter-cardinal directions and protected from
the elements by small open-sided structures. The boundary stones are double, indicating
former royal patronage (1). The complex is surrounded by an inner wall or crystal wall
(Th: Kamphaeng Kaeo) demarcating the sacred area.
Wat Lot Chong is named after a Thai sweet, which was produced in earlier times in the
vicinity of this temple by the locals. The refreshing sweet is made of green tapioca
noodles, coconut milk, sweet syrup and water.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
In the manuscript Testimony of the King from Wat Pradu Songtham, a document
likely compiled in the Early Ratanakosin Period, is written that in the Ayutthaya era at the
village beside Wat Lot Chong, Patani Khaek weaved silk cloth, cotton cloth, and pha
muang for sale in plain and in flower patterns. Merchants brought the cloth from the
Khaek of Wat Lot Chong to sell at shops in the Betel Bag or Green-Cloth Market. 
Near Wat Lot Chong was one of the former four western ferries across the old Lopburi
River - at present the Chao Phraya River (2) - linking the monastery with the Rear
Palace Landing (Tha Phra Racha Wang Lang). (3) 
The site is indicated on a mid-19th century map but not on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's
map drafted in 1926. On the oldest map we find the presence of a chedi.
The site is located in Geo Coord: 14° 20' 51.81" N, 100° 32' 25.13" E.
(1) At present this temple is not listed as having royal patronage.
(2) The Chao Phraya River has been deviated into the river bed of the old Lopburi River
in the post-Ayutthayan era anno 1857. See the essay: Ayutthaya's ever-changing
(3) In Ayutthayan times there were twenty-two ferry routes. In the western area, the
three other crossings were: from Wat Chayaram to Ban Chi, from Tha Dan Lom to Wat
Kasatra and from Ban Chao Phraya Phonlathep’s residence to Wat Thamma.  See
"The Boat & Ferry Landings of Ayutthaya".
 Phanna Phumi Sathan Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya: ekkasan jak ho luang
[Geographical description of Ayutthaya: Documents from the palace]. Edited by Winai
Pongsripian. Bangkok: Usakane, n. d. (2007).
 Note on the Testimonies and the Description of Ayutthaya - Chris Baker - Journal of
the Siam Society, Vol. 99, 2011 - page 77 (paragraph on KWPS).
 Markets and Production in the City of Ayutthaya before 1767: Translation and
Analysis of Part of the Description of Ayutthaya - Chris Baker - Journal of the Siam
Society, Vol. 99, 2011- page 56, 62.
 Athibai Phaenthi Phra Nakhon Sri Ayutthaya kap khamwinitjai khong Phraya Boran
Racha Thanin - Explanation of the map of the Capital of Ayutthaya with a ruling of
Phraya Boran Rachathanin - Revised 2nd edition and Geography of the Ayutthaya
Kingdom - Ton Chabab print office - Nonthaburi (2007) - page 92.
|(View of the ordination hall)
|(Inside the ordination hall)
|Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - February 2010
Updated May 2011, November 2013, December 2014
|(View of the ubosot)
|(Sala in situ)
|(The Bai Sema of the ordination hall)
|(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy of the Sam
Chao Phraya Museum)
|(Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)