Wat Monthian or the “Monastery of the Royal House” was located on the city island in the western area in Pratu Chai sub-district. The temple was located south of an ancient canal called Khlong Chang Maha Chai and stood south of Wat Lokaya Sutharam and east of Wat Jom Thong.
There are no traces anymore of the former monastery. Houses have been built on the site. The temple has been classified as disappeared.
The site is mentioned on Phraya Boran Rachathanin’s map drafted in 1926 in more or less the same position as on a mid-19th century map. On the latter the monastery is called Wat Racha Monthian (วัดราชมณเฑิยน) and it is marked with the presence of a chedi.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
Text & map by Tricky Vandenberg - October 2009 Text review April 2011