|WAT NANG KUI (วัดนางกุย)
|Wat Nang Kui or the Monastery of the Lady named Kui is an active temple located
off the city island in the southern area at Samphao Lom Sub-district. The monastery is
situated along the Chao Phraya River. To its west side lies Wat Khun Phrom and to its
south Wat Mai Bang Kaja.
The monastery has been built in 1587, a few years after the first fall of Ayutthaya. The
construction has been sponsored by a wealthy woman called Lady Kui, hence the name
of the temple. After the second fall of Ayutthaya the monastery was left empty and
neglected until in the Ratanakosin period during the Reign of King Rama III the
monastery was renovated.
The temple is actually known for its sandstone Buddha image, Mae Takhian Thong
and Luang Pho Yim statue.
Historical data about the monastery is unknown.
The site is indicated on a mid-19th century map and on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map
drafted in 1926.
From the temple you have "nearly a straight view on Pom Phet or the Diamond Fort.
Therefore it was surely occupied by the Burmese army in the last battle for Ayutthaya in
Vihara of Mae Takhian Thong
The vihara of Mae Takhian Thong has been built in the year 2000 AD. The statue of
Mae Takhian Thong was handmade from an old Takhian tree which stood on the
premises of the temple since its establishment. The tree was worshipped by the local
community since old years. The Thakian tree (Malabar Ironwood) is believed to house
the female spirit Nang Takhian at par as a banana tree houses the spirit Nang Tani.
Around Thailand you will find trees wrapped with a cloth, meaning that spirits inhabit
In 1995 and 1996, Ayutthaya endured high flood levels for a long period. A lot of trees
died off in the period afterwards including the old Thakian tree. Its branches came down
on the Sala Kanparien of the monastery, which was destroyed. In 1998 the tree was
finally cut down. From the large trunk, the wooden image of Mae Takhian Thong was
sculpted. Over the stump of the tree, a vihara was built and the sculpture of Mae
Takhian Thong, containing the tree’s spirit, was positioned on top of the old stump.
Wat Nang Kui is located in Geo Coord: 14° 20' 46.45" N, 100° 34' 24.08" E.
(1) Literally the sub-district of the capsized junk. The area was known before as Ban
|Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - August 2009
Updated April 2010, June 2011, January 2015
|(Dvaravati sandstone Buddha image
excavated at the temple's site)
|(View of the ubosot)
|(View of the ubosot)
|(Luang Pho Yim - the smiling Buddha)
|(Mae Takhian statue)
|(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy of the Sam
Chao Phraya Museum)
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)