WAT NOI WANG LANG (วัดน้อย)
Wat  Noi or the "Little Monastery" was located on the city island of Ayutthaya in the
western area of Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai sub-district.

The monastery was situated south of "Wang Lang" or the Palace of the Rear  and was
part of the latter.
Wat Kasatra stood on the opposite bank of the Lopburi River (at
present the
Chao Phraya River).

The site is indicated on
Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 as "Wang Noi"
or little palace and is indicated in an identical position on a
mid-19th century map. In
front of Wat Noi was the
boat landing called "Dan Lom". The oldest map indicates the
existence of two chedis.

In 2012 the Fine Arts Department performed excavations in the area and found evidence
of what has been a temple area dating from the Ayutthaya era. Although located much
more east than indicated on PBR's map, the site is supposed to be Wat Noi, a temple
belonging to the former palace area. During the excavations evidence of the temple's
walls were discovered as well as pieces of sandstone and bronze Buddha images, the
foundations of a chedi and the base of boundary stones (Bai Sema).

I believe a part of the temple site must have disappeared when the moat was dug
bordering the former alcohol distillery, somewhere in the 1930s or early 40s.

Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.

The site is located in Geo Coord: 14° 20' 57.31" N, 100° 32' 53.29" E.
Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - July 2010
Text review April 2011, May 2014

With thanks to Ms Pattharawadee Desomchok, archaeologist at the Fine Arts
Department - 3th Region.
Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno 1926
(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
1926)
Detail of a mid-19th century map
(Detail of a mid-19th century map)
Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map
(Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)