|WAT PA SAI (วัดป่าทราย)
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - October 2009
Updated April 2013, February 2015
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|Wat Pa Sai or the Monastery of the Sand Quarter was situated on the city island in
the southwestern area of Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai Sub-district. The monastery stood on
the north bank of Khlong Tha Phra also called Khlong Klaep.
The former temple was situated just north of Wat Cho on the opposite side of the canal.
In its immediate vicinity were Wat Satdichon, Wat Chang and Wat Pa Sathon.
Wat Satdichon, Wat Chang and Wat Pa Sai were situated closely to each other. A 2007
Fine Arts Department (FAD) map based on conducted excavations shows the
location of the three temples, which could lead to the conclusion that the structures were
part of one single monastery. On the mid-19th century map we find the indication of Wat
Chang in this area. Why Phraya Boran Rachathanin has divided this area (contrary to the
mid-19th C map) in a location with three temples in close proximity, is not known.
There are no traces of foundations or brick work at ground level and the temple is
classified as disappeared.
The site is mentioned on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926. A Fine Arts
Department map drafted in 1993 refers to this temple as Wat Yam Sai (วัดยำทราย).
Historical data about the monastery and its construction is unknown.
Wat Pa Sai was located in Geo. Coord.: 14° 20' 50.04" N, 100° 32' 46.11" E.
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)