|WAT PA SATHON (วัดป่าสะท้อน)
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - October 2009
Updated April 2011, April 2013, February 2015
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|Wat Pa Sathon or the Monastery of the Santol Quarter (1) was situated on the city
island in the southwestern area of Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai Sub-district. The monastery
stood on the bank of Khlong Tha Phra also called Khlong Klaep. In its immediate vicinity
were Wat Satdichon, Wat Pa Sai and Wat Chang.
There are no traces of foundations or brick work at ground level and the temple is
classified as disappeared.
The site is mentioned on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 on the
northern canal bank.
A 2007 Fine Arts Department (FAD) map based on conducted excavations shows Wat
Pa Sathon on the opposite side of the canal as in contrary what is indicated by Phraya
Historical data about the monastery and its construction is unknown.
The site is located in Geo Coord: 14° 20' 45.78" N, 100° 32' 42.46" E.
Sathon (สะท้อน) also called krathon (กระท้อน) = Santol also called sour apple or
cotton fruit. Latin name: (Sandoricum koetjape).
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)