|WAT PA TAKUA (วัดป่าตะกั่ว)
|Wat Pa Takua or the Monastery of the Lead Quarter is a defunct temple formerly
located on Ayutthaya's city island outside the Historical Park in present Pratu Chai
Following a map of the 19th century the monastery was situated along the west bank of
Khlong Pratu Nai Kai, presently called Makham Riang canal. Wat Kraji stood to its
north and Wat Trae (defunct) to its south. Wat Khok Sua (defunct) and
Wat Khok Rak (defunct) to its west.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown. The 19th century
map indicates the existence of a minor prang. The temple is not mentioned on Phraya
Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926. When working with an overlay of the 19th
century map, the location of Wat Pa Takua coincides with the grounds of present Wat
Noi Nang Hong.
The site was likely situated in Geo. Coord.: 14° 21' 8.73" N, 100° 34' 19.93" E.
Making an assessment off all the monastic structures, in the zone demarcated by Chikun
Rd, Pa Thon Rd, Pridi Banomyong Rd and U-thong Rd is rather difficult, as the position
and name of the structures varies on different maps. On a 19th century map there are 15
structures counted, while on the 20th century Phraya Boran Rachathanin map there are
13 mentioned. There is inconsistence in the names and the positions. Positions of
monastic structures can be asserted, but their ancient names will remain questioned
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - November 2010
Updated February 2015
|(Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N)