Wat Phanom Yong or the “Monastery of Wet nurse Yong” is an active monastery located off the City Island in the northwestern area at Tambon Tha Wasukri. It is situated on the north bank of Khlong Muang, the old Lopburi River in earlier times. Wat Sala Pun lies in its vicinity.
The history of this monastery is rather vague (as most of the ancient monasteries in Ayutthaya). The monastery was likely built in the reign of King Narai (r. 1656-1688). The story goes that the area once was a garden owned by a wet nurse of King Narai. This wet nurse (Phranom) was named Phrayong. Upon her death a monastery was built and named in her honor. Its initial name was Wat Phranom Yong an aggregation of Phranom and Yong. Around 1923, someone spelled the name of the temple slightly differently, deviating the original meaning of its original name - local people tended not to pronounce the letter "r" and the temple became known as Phanom Yong. The temple was deserted after the fall of Ayutthaya in 1767.
Wat Phanom Yong was rebuilt by King Chulalongkorn (1868-1910). The Banomyong family still takes care of this temple. The old Banomyong residency, which is now a memorial, is located on the opposite bank of the city canal and can be reached by a bridge.
The ubosot has a double tiered roof. The elevated front porch has three entries, while the roof is supported by four columns. The base of the hall is curved (junk shaped) indicative of a construction of the Late Ayutthaya (1629 - 1767) and Early Ratanakosin (1782 - 1851 A.D.) period. The ubosot is surrounded by a wall, separating the sacred world within from the secular bustle outside.
In situ stands a vihara containing a large reclining Buddha image.