WAT PHRA NGAM 4 (วัดพระงาม)
Wat Phra Ngam was located on Ayutthaya's city island in the south in Pratu Chai
sub-district. The monastery was located on the bank of
Khlong Pa Mo, an extension of
Khlong Klaep.

It was situated in an area called
Thung Khaek below Khok Khaek. Wat Jingjok was in
the north,
Wat Singharam in the south and Wat Am Mae in the east.

There are no traces anymore visible of the monastery above ground level.

The exact location is presently difficult to determine as maps give slightly different
locations for this monastery.

Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown. Beside Wat Phra
Ngam on White-clay Quarter Road there were shops selling white-clay powder, made
from old marble; and white, yellow, and black white-clay powder. (1)

The site is indicated on
Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926.

Footnotes:

(1) Chris Baker notes "dinso": a powder made from white clay, used in writing and also
applied to the body like talcum for cooling and whitening.

References:

[1] Markets and Production in the City of Ayutthaya before 1767: Translation and
Analysis of Part of the Description of Ayutthaya - Chris Baker - Journal of the Siam
Society, Vol. 99, 2011 - page 62.
Text & photograph by Tricky Vandenberg - March 2010
Updated April 2013
(Extract of a begin 20th century map)