WAT PI RAI (วัดปีราย)
Wat Pi Rai was situated on the city island in the southwestern area of Ayutthaya in Pratu
Chai Sub-district. The temple was located on the crossing of
Khlong Chakrai Yai (an
extension of
Khlong Tho) and Khlong Klaep. It was located on the west bank of Khlong
Chakrai Yai and on the north bank of Khlong Klaep.

Wat Kao (no traces anymore) stood in the north, while Wat Pa Phat (no traces anymore)
was in the south. Opposite Khlong Chakrai stood
Wat Chana Man (no traces anymore).

The ancient site was cleared in the early 1970's during construction works of an
expansion project of the (former) Ayutthaya Agriculture School (Withayalai
Kasetrakam). There are no traces of foundations or brick work anymore at ground level
and the temple is classified as disappeared. [1]

The site is mentioned on
Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926. Historical
data about the monastery and its construction is unknown. The name of the monastery
although is mentioned as Yi Rai.

A
mid-19th century map indicates the location of Wat Pi Rai as Wat Salak or the
Monastery of the Chisel and positions Wat Yi Rai just opposite of Wat Salak, on the
south bank of Khlong Klaep. Seemingly through the years there has been a mix-up of the
names of different sites in this area.

Wat Pi Rai was located in Geo. Coord.: 14° 20' 51.89" N, 100° 33' 20.92" E.

References:

[1] Bangkok Post - 09 Dec 1972 - Work suspended on Ayutthaya sites. The article
states that “machinery engaged on the Ayutthaya Agriculture School extensions ploughed
up the ruins of at least five temples in the disputed area”. The work at the school was
stopped after students had sent a petition to the NEC. The Director General of the Fine
Arts Department at that time stated he was certain the damage had already been done.
Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - October 2009
Updated April 2011, March 2015
Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno 1926
(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
1926)
(Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N)
Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N
Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map
(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)