Wat Sanam Kai (1) was situated off the city island in the northern area of Ayutthaya in Lum Phli sub-district, Ban Sanam Kai, Moo 4.
In situ is a brick mound with the remains of a large Buddha image. The image was excavated and installed on the brick mound.
Its historical background and period of construction are unknown, although a “Kai Monastery” is mentioned in the Royal Chronicles. The chronicles recall that in 1560 during the reign of King Chakkraphat (r. 1548-1568) the king came to this municipality to corral fifty elephants. One of these was a white elephant with a calf.  The possession of a white elephant was considered as an auspicious omen for the king’s reign.
"In 922, a year of the monkey, the King went to corral elephants in the Municipality of Kai Monastery and captured fifty males and females. Furthermore, on Saturday, the eighth day of the waning moon of the twelfth month, a white elephant, whose eyes were not albino, and a calf attached to it were taken."