|WAT SURINTHARACHA (วัดสุรินทราชา)
|Wat Surintharacha was situated off the city island in the northern area of Ayutthaya in
Tha Wasukri Sub-district. The temple was located north of Wat Choeng Tha and the
Dock of the Royal barges in a locality called Thung Khwan.
In situ is a brick mound covered with vegetation.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
The temple has been likely named after its founder, Phraya Surintharacha, a Siamese
nobleman at the Court. Chao Phraya or Phraya Surintharacha was a title conferred by
the king. The real name of the founder remains as thus unknown. The denomination of
this temple goes at par with for example Wat Bot Racha Decha, a temple dedicated to
one of the commanding officers under the Kalahom. Here also Racha Decha is a title.
In 'The Thalang Letters' we find a Chao Phraya Surintharacha in the reign of King
Suriyamarin (r. 1758-1767): Chao Phya Surintharacha was the son of a high official
of the reign of the last king of Ayuthaya. He served in the capital and later went to
Nakhon Si Thammarat where he was made Uparat (vice-chief) by the ruler. When
the latter was punished by Tak Sin, Chao Phya Surintharacha was given another
post in the capital. He had married into the family of the rulers of Nakhon Si
Thammarat. He then went back to the provinces. Though long resident in the area
he does not seem to have been connected with the old Thalang family. 
The monastery is only indicated on a 1993 Fine Arts Department (FAD) maps. The
ruins of temple are situated in Geo Coord: 14° 21' 51.96" N, 100° 33' 17.17" E.
 The Thalang Letters, 1773-94: Political Aspects and the Trade in Arms Author(s): E.
H. S. Simmonds - page 609 & 610.
|Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - May 2009
Updated September 2011
|(Brickwork overgrown by a tree)
|(Treasure farmer's pit - remaining brickwork)
|(Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)