|WAT TAMA (วัดตะมะ)
|Wat Tama or the Monastery of the Dharma (1) was located off the city island in the
southern area of Ayutthaya in Samphao Lom Sub-district. (2)
The monastery was situated on the west bank of Khlong Khu Cham. Wat Tawet stood
to its north, while Wat Bandai Nak was on its south.
There are no traces anymore visible of the monastery above ground level.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
The site is not indicated on a mid-19th century map and neither on Phraya Boran
Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926, but features on a 1974 Fine Arts Department map.
Some remains of the temple were excavated by the Fine Arts Department (FAD) in
geographical coordinates: 14° 20' 8.13" N, 100° 33' 47.84" E.
(1) Written as ตะมะ but likely corrupted from ธรรมะ - dharma or teachings of the
(2) Literally the sub-district of the capsized junk. The area was known before as Ban
|Text & map by Tricky Vandenberg - June 2011
Updated September 2015
|(Detail of a 1974 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Dr. Surat Lertlum, Chulachomklao Royal
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)