WAT THA SAK (วัดท่าสัก)
Wat Tha Sak or the Monastery of the Teak Landing was located off the city island in
the southern area of Ayutthaya in Samphao Lom Sub-district. (1)

The monastery was situated along the present
Chao Phraya River, the Lopburi River in
the Ayutthayan era, between
Wat Yi Kham and Wat Chi Tham(mo).

On a Fine Arts Department map drafted in 1974 [1] there is a canal indicated between
Wat Yi Kham and Wat Tha Sak, leading from the Chao Phraya River south towards
Wat Phraya Kong.

Wat Tha Sak is today not much more than a mound of broken bricks and tiles, covered
in vegetation. An unpaved path curves around the low hill. The mound covers probably
the foundations of the  former preaching hall.

The site is indicated on a
mid-19th century map and on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map
drafted in 1926.  Some remains of the temple were excavated by the Fine Arts
Department (FAD) in geographical coordinates: 14° 20' 42.06" N, 100° 34' 5.05" E.

The monastery's historical background and period of construction are unknown.


(1) Literally the sub-district of the capsized junk.


[1] FAD 1974 map - courtesy Dr. Surat Lertlum - Program Head of Computer Science
Program - Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy.
Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg
Updated January 2016
Brick mound in situ
Brick mound in situ
(Brick mound in situ)
(Brick mound in situ)
Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N
Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno 1926
(Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N)
(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)