|WAT U TAPHAO (วัดอู่ตะเภา)
|Wat U Taphao was located off the city island in the northern area of Ayutthaya in Pho Sam Ton sub-district of Bang Pahan in Ayutthaya Province.
The temple was located in between Wat Sing and Wat Chedi Hak, on the east bank of the old Lopburi River, on a stretch called Khlong Ban Muang
(Khlong Pho Sam Ton) today.
In situ is a earthen mound with some scattered broken old bricks. There were no traces of fragmented Buddha images nor sema stones seen when
visiting the site.
In the vicinity of Wat Chedi Hak, we met a local who told us that the all the bricks of this former temple had been gathered and transported by boat
to Bangkok in the beginning of the 1950's. 
The historical background and period of construction of the former monastery are not known.
The temple bears the same name as the Dvaravati era settlement Mueang U-Taphao in Nong Saeng (Saraburi Province). One of the possible
translations of Taphao could be 'Chinese junk' (aka Samphao); U-Taphao could be then roughly translated as the 'Cradle of Chinese Junks' and
referring to a harbour.
Wat U Taphao is situated in geographical coordinates: 14° 25' 31.96" N, 100° 33' 2.47" E.
 Interview with Khun Tawet on 11 January 2013 in the vicinity of Wat Chedi Hak.
|Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg
Updated March 2016