WAT UBOSOT (วัดอุโบสถ)
Wat Ubosot or the "Monastery of the Ordination Hall" is a restored ruin located on
city island in the southern area in Pratu Chai sub-district. The ruin is situated in the
Somdet Phra Sri Nakharin Park, being part of the Ayutthaya Historical Park.

Wat Ubosot lies west of Khlong Chakrai Yai (at present called Khlong Tho), which had
its mouth at the Chao Phraya River.
Wat Chao Phram is on its north side, while Wat
Chao Prab on its south. Chedi Yai stands west of it.

The exact date of the temple's construction and its historical information are not known.
The chedi features characteristics indicating its construction in the Middle to Late
Ayutthaya period. The chedi is redented from its platform until the harmika. The high and
redented square platform has a stairway on the south, leading to the base of the chedi.
The chedi has a triple redented square base representing the three worlds or the Trai
Phum. The three worlds are: the sensual worlds, the form world, and the formless world,
together forming the Buddhist cosmology.

An ubosot or ordination hall stood in the front of the chedi. This ubosot has been altered
in the Late Ayutthaya period. The area has been up leveled, and a new vihara has been
built on top of the foundations of the ubosot.

The whole monastic area was before completely surrounded by a moat, but can now
easily be accessed.

Wat Ubosot in indicated in a  
mid-19th century map under the denomination "Wat Bot"
as on
Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926.
Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - October 2009
Text review March 2011
(Wat Ubosot from the east)
(Wat Ubosot from the south)