|INTERACTIVE VOC 2 MAP
|This map is graphic intensive and might upload slowly. By clicking a
marker you are mostly directed to a related web page
1. West Revier [Tha Jin River]
2. Baantiampia [Ban Chao Phraya] - Literally the Village of the Chao Phraya. Chao Phraya was the highest title conferred by the King to a noble
man. The official settlement, in fact the "Gate to Ayutthaya", must have been an important post. The nobleman here was responsible for the security
of the lower reaches of the Chao Phraya River and a kind of ambassador to receive (and evaluate) important visitors. The official building was likely
situated in Khlong Nang Bang Kreng in Pak Nam (Samut Prakan) along a canal with its mouth on the east bank of the Chao Phraya River. The latter
derived its name from this place.
3.A warehouse called "Amsterdam” was built in 1636 on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River, where it meets the Bang Pla Kot Canal. Because
large ships were not able to sail the almost 80 Km-long distance over the river to Ayutthaya, it was necessary to build this warehouse on stilts,
located about 2 miles from the mouth of the river.
4. Clijn Buffelsvelt [Small Buffalo Field]
5. Groot Buffelsvelt [Large Buffalo Field]
6. Zuijder ra..
7. Prappending [Phra Pradaeng] - Phra Pradaeng was a fortified town at the beginning of the Ayutthaya period. In the reign of King Songtham (reign
1610/1611-1628) it was abandoned because of regress of the shore-line caused by deposition of sediment at the mouth of the Chao Phraya River.
Samut Prakan was established further south on the east bank (See Ban Chao Phraya).
8. Stompe Pieramijda [Blunt Pyramid]
9. Nieuwe Casteel [New Castle] - The Bangkok Fortress was designed by the French engineer de La Mare, a member of the first French Embassy
(1685) who stayed at the request of King Narai (reign 1656-1688). Construction work was already ongoing before the arrival of the second French
Embassy. The engineer Vollant des Verquains disapproved de La Mare's plan of the fortification and redesigned a new plan for the fortress, but the
latter was rejected by Phaulkon. The fortress was still in an embryonal state, with two bastions, two curtains and a cavalier still to be built. Between
the Thonburi and Bangkok forts there was a chain over the river to stop incoming and outgoing vessels. The fort, built on the Bangkok side, was
demolished on order of Phetracha (reign 1688-1703) after the ousting of the French in 1688.
10. Oude Casteel Bankock [Old Castle] - The Wichai Prasit Fort, named before Wichayen Fort (Phaulcon, the Chao Phraya Wichayentrathibodhi,
proposed its construction to King Narai), was erected around 1675 AD and situated on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River (Thonburi) near
the confluence of Khlong Bangkok Yai (Bang Luang). The fort was built to prevent ships from sailing up the river to the then Siamese capital of
Ayutthaya. The fort is at present part of the Thai Navy's headquarters.
11. Talatkieuw [Talat Kaeo]
12. T'alatquiant [Talat Khwan] - Talat Khwan District in Nonthaburi.
13. Klijn musquiten Gadt [Small Mosquito Passage] - The digging of Khlong Lat Kret Noi at the town of Pak Kret, reduced the journey from 6 to 2
kilometers. The date of excavation is not known, but 17th century maps show the existence of the canal already.
14. Passeer onder de Boom [Bazaar under the Tree] - The market was situated at Wat Talat Tai in Bang Kha Yaeng Sub-district of Pathumthani
15. 't groot musquiten Gadt [Large Mosquito Passage] - In 1608, King Ekathotsarot (r. 1605-1610/11) ordered Khlong Lat Kret Yai dug in a loop
of the Chao Phraya River from Wat Kaitia below Sam Khok until Wat Makham in Ban Klang, Pathumthani. The loop was transformed into two
canals being Khlong Bang Phrao and Khlong Bang Luang Chiang Rak. The journey reduced from 18 to 7 kilometers.
17. Varaans Hoek ofte Pottebackersdorp - [Pottery village / Sam Khok] - In 1661 in the reign of King Narai (reign 1656 - 1688) Mons fled
Martaban after a revolt and sought refuge in Ayutthaya. The Mon families, about 11.000 people, were met at Kanchanaburi and arrangements were
made to settle them. A large number of them were given Sam Khok as site of settlement. Pottery trade (jars, bowls, pots and pans for water storage
etc) was brought by the Mon from their home land.
18. Baantrangh [Ban Trangh]
19. t' Lange Eylandt [Long Island] - This island still can be more or less visualized and stretches out over three sub-districts of Ayutthaya and one
sub-district of Pathumthani. The most southern point of the island lies in Thai Ko sub-district (Lit. Rear of Island), while the most northern point is
situated in Mai Tra Sub-district. The western passage was largely silted, while the middle part of the island disappeared under water partly in Ban
Ma Sub-district and completely in Khok Chang Sub-district.
From Bang Sai
20. Radhiacran [Racha Khram] - Sub-district of Bang Sai.
21. Baantharij [Bang Sai] - Bang Sai District of Ayutthaya Province.
22. Coning Rust Zaal [King's Rest Lounge]
23. s' Coning Pagoot offte Canoijer [King's Pagoda] - Wat Chumphon Nikayaram at Bang Pa-In was built by King Prasat Thong in 1652, as is
evidenced by the two square relic towers with redented corners.
24. Chinees Eijlant [Chinese Island] - Ko Phra or Monk's Island in Ban Pho Sub-district of Bang Pa-In District in Ayutthaya Province,
25. Siams tol huijs [Siam's Customs House] - The customs house was located near Wat Prot Sat in Khanon Luang Sub-district, south of Ayutthaya.
It was the largest tax station of the four stations around Ayutthaya, which controlled incoming and outgoing sea vessels. At the customs houses goods
were checked for prohibited items and weapons as prescribed by law, urgent dispatches were sent to the capital, and import and export duty was
collected from ships coming and going to and from the capital. The customs house was called by the Thais "Khanon" and by the French "Tabanque".
26. De Hollandsche Tuijn offte Watpamsoot [Dutch Garden or Wat Protsat] - In 1670, King Narai gave the Director of the Dutch Settlement a
small plot of land at Wat Prot Sat to make a garden and a place for holiday or excursion. On this plot which was marked as a ‘property’ of the
VOC in Siam stood a small brick house. By 1697 it was turned into a place for storing and sawing sappanwood to replace the workshop at Ban
26. Maleijtse Campo [Malay Settlement] - Probably wrongly indicated. The Malay settlement was situated off Ayutthaya's city island in the southern
area on the north bank of Khlong Takhian, opposite the Makassar settlement.
27. Peguse Campo [Peguan Settlement] - Mon settlement located at the village of Ban Ko Rian, just above the islet. Mon migration into Thailand
occurred throughout the 16-18th centuries due to the unremitting Burmese expansionism.
28. De geweezen campo off den Vmoorde Macassare [the erstwhile settlement of the murdered Makassars] - The Makassar camp was destroyed
on 24 September 1686 after a Muslim conspiracy against King Narai (reign 1656-1688).
29. Japanse Campo [Japanese Settlement] - Many Japanese went abroad in the 16th and early 17th centuries. Some were part of the red-seal ship
business; others were mercenaries, ronin or political exiles from the unification wars, culminating in the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600 and leading to
the Tokugawa bakufu, the last shogunate to control Japan; and as last Christian refugees fleeing prosecution in Japan (Shimabara uprising, 1637-8)..
Around 1617, Chinese travel notes spoke already of Japanese and Portuguese villages in Ayutthaya.
30. t' Eijlt van de Hollandsz Logie [The Island of the Dutch Lodge] - Trade office of the Dutch VOC (Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie)
situated off Ayutthaya's city island in the southeastern area in Ho Ratanachai Sub-district. The two-storey brick building enclosed with a stockade
was established in 1634 by Joost Schouten. The lodge was special because it was a stone construction, which gave it a "high-status", as in Ayutthaya
only the monasteries and palaces were made of stone. The VOC-factory was located north of the English trading post and the Japanese settlement.
31. De Chinese straat [The Chinese Street] - In the seventeenth-century European accounts, the main Chinese commercial settlement was in the
southeast, behind the port, where the main thoroughfare was called Chinese Street and the city gate called Chinese Gate. In the Description, this
market stretches over half a kilometer along Chinese Street, which is lined with “Chinese brick shops on both sides” selling “all kinds of goods from
China, including food and fruit”. This market has also expanded to the east and merged with the Three Horses Market behind Diamond Fort. [Ref:
Markets and Production in the City of Ayutthaya before 1767 - Chris Baker]
32. De Silver straat [The Silver Street]
33. De gemeene France .... ofte France Campo [French Settlement] - The French settlement was located off the City Island, in the southern area in
present Samphao Lom Sub-district. In 1662 three Apostolic Vicars of the "Sacred Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith" arrived in
Ayutthaya. King Narai granted the French bishops a large spot near the Chao Phraya River in the Cochin-chinese quarter called "Ban Pla Het" in
1665. In 1665-1666 they built the "Seminary of Saint Joseph". The St Joseph church is situated on the south bank of the Chao Phraya River,
bordered by Khlong Takhian in the west and Wat Phutthaisawan in the east.
34. De gouden Pagoot [The Golden Pagoda] - King Prasat Thong (reign 1629-1656) built Wat Chai Watthanaram on the bank of the Chao Phraya
River in 1630 in order to make merit for his foster-mother, as well to show himself as a man of great Buddhist merit. The temple was built on the site
where his foster-mother, the wife of Okya Sri Thammathirat, resided in Ayutthaya.
35. De Stad Siam offte Judea [The City of Siam or Judea]
|Interactive map of the Chao Phraya River from the Gulf of Thailand until Ayutthaya made by an unknown VOC 17th mapmaker in the 17th century.
Catalogue Title Leupe: "Kaart van de Rivier van Siam, van de Zee tot aan de Stad Siam ofte Judea." 17de eeuw. Manuscript Groot 0.53 - 0.42 El.
Nationaal Archief, Den Haag, Verzameling Buitenlandse Kaarten Leupe, nummer toegang 4.VEL, inventarisnummer 267. The manuscript is kept at
the Dutch National Archives in The Hague.
|Interactive map & text by Tricky Vandenberg
Last update April 2019