|KING U-THONG MONUMENT
|Text & photographs by Ken May - January 2010
|The King U-Thong Monument is situated inside of the Ayutthaya Historical Park on
the eastern side of the former Royal Palace. Wat Phra Si Sanphet can be seen nearby,
and a paved road curves beside this monument (connecting Wat Phra Ram to Wat
Thammikarat). A small sala is in situ with some historical markers. In the peak tourist
season, there are also horse carts next to this monument as well.
The location of this monument has symbolic relevance. This lake around this area is
known as Bueng Phra Ram (or sometimes as Bueng Chi Khan). Royal Chronicles
mention this patch of land as Nong Sano. It is believed that this is the spot where King
intention for building his Royal Palace in 1350.