|WAT BOT DAENG (วัดโบสถ์แดง)
|Wat Bot Daeng is located in the south west section of Ayutthaya, off the city island.
This deserted monastery is visible from the road leading to the Tesco Lotus department
store; however, it is easier to actually visit this site by using the road that is located
directly inside the Wat Yai Chai Mongkhon compound.
This temple’s name suggests the existence of former red ubosot, but no trace of it
remains today. The surviving architectural structure is a large bell-shaped chedi. This
style is usually attributed to the Middle Ayutthaya period (1488 - 1629 AD), but a sign
posted by the Fine Arts Department claims that Wat Bot Daeng actually belongs to an
earlier period and that its location next to Wat Yai shows it played a more important role.
Unfortunately, there are not any clear historical records about this site or its original
|Text by Ken May - December 2008
Photograph & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - March 2014
|(View of Wat Bot Daeng)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)