|WAT DAENG 1 (วัดแดง)
|Wat Daeng or the Red Monastery was located off the city island in the southern area of
Ayutthaya in Samphao Lom sub-district. (1)
The monastery stood south of Wat Nang Krai and north of Wat Khok Khamin. Wat
Tamnak was on its east.
There are no traces anymore visible of the monastery above ground level.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
The monastery is mentioned in the Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya, prior the escape of
Phraya Taksin to the south.
Then the Burmese advanced forward and established stockades in the Monastery of
the Krachai Plant, the Monastery of the Victory Pavilion, the Monastery of the [B:
Stove] [CD: Tortoise], the Monastery of [B: Gold] [CD: the God Indra] and the
Monastery of Red. (1) 
The site is not indicated on a mid-19th century map, but features on Phraya Boran
Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926. Some remains of the temple were excavated by the
Fine Arts Department (FAD) in Geo Coord: 14° 20' 15.03" N, 100° 33' 12.85" E.
(1) It is more than likely Wat Daeng in the southern area and not Wat Chedi Daeng in the
north as first, Wat Krachai, Wat Tao and Wat Thong were located in the southern area;
second, the chronicles state that the Burmese General Posuphla just established his
stockade at Pho Sam Ton; and third it is still the year 1766 and still a few months before
the fall of Ayutthaya.
 The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya - Richard D. Cushman & David K. Wyatt (2006)
- page 512.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - June 2011
Updated 23 April 2014
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)