|WAT KAO (วัดเก่า)
|Wat Kao or the Old Monastery was situated on the city island in the central area of
Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai sub-district. The temple was located on the west bank of Khlong
Chakrai Yai .
Wat Khun Phrom (no traces anymore) stood in the north, while Wat Pi Rai (no traces
anymore) was in the south. Opposite Khlong Chakrai Yai stood Wat Rak (no traces
The ancient site was cleared in the early 1970's during construction works of an
expansion project of the (former) Ayutthaya Agriculture School (Withayalai
Kasetrakam). There are no traces of foundations or brick work anymore at ground level
and the temple is classified as defunct. 
The site is mentioned on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 and on the
1974 and 1993 Fine Arts Department maps.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction is unknown.
The site should have been approximately located in geographical coordinates: 14° 20'
55.78" N, 100° 33' 20.67" E.
 Bangkok Post - 09 Dec 1972 - Work suspended on Ayutthaya sites. The article
states that “machinery engaged on the Ayutthaya Agriculture School extensions ploughed
up the ruins of at least five temples in the disputed area”. The work at the school was
stopped after students had sent a petition to the NEC. The Director General of the Fine
Arts Department at that time stated he was certain the damage had already been done.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - October 2009
Reviewed June 2014
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)