|WAT KHAE 2 (วัดแค)
|Wat Khae or the Monastery of the Trumpet Tree (1) is an active temple situated off
Ayutthaya's city island in the northern area in Hua Ro sub-district. The temple is located
on an islet called "Ko Loi" (floating island) and stands opposite the mouth of the Lopburi
In situ are the classic monastic structures as ordination hall, bell tower, the monk's
dwellings and others. The ubosot was built in the Ratanakosin style. There are no traces
of any old structures on the premises.
Its historical background and period of construction are unknown.
In the manuscript Testimony of the king from Wat Pradu Songtham, a document
likely compiled in the Early Ratanakosin period, is written that there was a land market in
front of Wat Khae down to Wat Saphan Kluea.  
Wat Khae is indicated on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 and located
in geographical coordinates: 14° 22' 6.35" N, 100° 34' 38.12" E.
 Geographical description of Ayutthaya: Documents from the palace - Dr Winai
Pongsripian - Bangkok (2007).
 Note on the Testimonies and the Description of Ayutthaya - Chris Baker - Journal of
the Siam Society, Vol. 99, 2011 - page 77 (paragraph on KWPS).
|Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - October 2010
Updated June 2014
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's 1926 map)
|(View of the court of Wat Khae)
|(Ordination hall of Wat Khae)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)