|WAT PA PHAI (วัดป่าพาย)
|Wat Pa Phai or the Monastery of the Paddle Quarter was situated on the city island
in the Historical Park in Pratu Chai Sub-district.
On its north stood San Phra Kan, a Brahmin shrine (south of the City Foundation Stone
or Lak Mueang), while Wat Pa Mo (defunct) stood in the southwest and Wat Rak
(defunct) in the west.
There are no traces of foundations or brick work at ground level and the temple is
classified as defunct.
The monastery stood once on the place where is at present a Thai style house, just north
of the old Provincial Building, where Ayutthaya's Tourist Office is located (the Thai style
house belongs to the Tourist Authority Thailand - TAT).
The site is mentioned on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926 and on a
mid-19th century map of an unknown drafter. The position of the temple matches both
maps. On the oldest map the temple is indicated with the presence of a chedi. On a 1993
Fine Arts Department map the site is called Wat Pa Phrai.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction is unknown.
Wat Pa Phai was located in Geo. Coord.: 14° 21' 3.89" N, 100° 33' 35.57" E.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - October 2009
Updated February 2011, January 2015
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)