|WAT PRASAT (5) (วัดประสาท)
|Wat Prasat or the Monastery of the Castle was located on the city island in the
western part of Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai Sub-district.
The site is only indicated on a mid-19th century map and does not feature on Phraya
Boran Rachathanin's (PBR) map drafted in 1926, which shows only an empty space in
The monastery was situated on the south bank of a canal longing the Talaeng Kaeng
road, also called Thanon Lao. In the east stood Wat Saek, while on its south stood Wat
There are no traces anymore visible of the monastery above ground level. Author
presumes this area was already cleared of temple ruins prior Phraya Boran Rachathanin's
arrival in Ayutthaya.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown. The mid-19th
century map indicates the presence of a prang.
Wat Prasat must have been located in approx. Geo. Coord.: 14° 21' 1.08" N, 100° 33'
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - April 2011
Updated March 2015
|(Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N)