|WAT KHANON (วัดขนอน)
|This active temple is located off the city island in the western part of Ayutthaya. It was
built beside a bend in the Chao Phraya, which is used to deliver irrigation water inland
via Khlong Maha Phram. Wat Khanon is situated on the border of the Ban Pom and
Ban Mai districts.
Wat Khanon is an active monastery with Buddhist clergy providing religious services to
temple (ordination hall, sermon hall, crematorium, bell tower, funeral chedi, and monks’
quarters). These building are designed in the Bangkok style at Wat Khanon.
Nevertheless, evidence shows that Wat Khanon did exist during the Ayutthaya period.
The oldest structures in situ are a few small chedi that can be found northwest of the
ordination hall. These square chedi have several layers. One of them has niches in each
of the cardinal directions, and Buddha images have been placed inside. Others have
mythological figures such as Garuda. Holes have dug into some of the chedi by looters.
In addition, there are traces of old walls and a moat. A footbridge leads over part of the
moat, which has formed a pond.
There is not much known about Wat Khanon’s history or when it was originally
established. Its name derives from the fact that the temple was located next to a toll
house (Khanon) that regulated boat traffic and the transport of merchandise. The
Ayutthaya Historical Studies Center points out that there were five toll houses located
within the boundaries of the ancient city. One of these was situated closely beside this
monastery; hence, the name. During the reign of King Songtham (1610-1628), three
clauses were added to Royal Criminal Law (36, 37, & 38) that prohibited the smuggling
of contraband as well as the evasion of trade tax. Vessels traveling along this canal were
required to stop and pay tax. Harsh penalties faced those who violated this law including
expensive fines and the confiscation of merchandise (Chatthip 44). The toll house by
Wat Khanon monitored the upper section of the Chao Phraya River.
|Text & photographs by Ken May - September 2009
Updated February 2014
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)
|(View of Wat Khanon)
|(Stupa at Wat Khanon)