|WAT KUTI SUNG (วัดกุฏิสูง)
|Wat Kuti Sung or the Monastery of the High Hermitage of the Monk is situated off
the city island in the northern area of Ayutthaya in Hua Ro Sub-district.
The former monastery was located between Wat Si Fan and Wat Maha Lok, along the
west bank of the present Lopburi River. The monastery as thus was accessible by boat
before. Presently people are living behind its ruins and the river.
In situ is an ordination hall oriented on an east-west axis. The structure looks a bit
strange. The northern wall has only a small window, while the southern wall has three.
There are two elevated porches: one in the east and one in the west, both accessible via
a single staircase. The eastern porch has one entry leading into the ubosot, while the
western porch has two entries. The brick walls of the ubosot are quite well preserved. A
large Buddha image of recent times is situated within its ruins.
West of the ordination hall stands the brick ruins of what was likely a large drum or bell
tower, as large openings in the four cardinal directions can be seen. The basis in a square
plan, with three rabbets on each angle, could in fact date from King Prasat Tong’s
period (r. 1629-1656); a period where the twelve rabbeted-angled chedi was
The name of the monastery could have been derived from this tower, although the
structure was likely not a kuti (quarters were monks reside in the temple compound), as
kuti in a principle are made of wood. (1)
The monastery is indicated on 1974, 1993 and 2007 Fine Arts Department (FAD)
maps. The remains of the temple are situated in Geo Coord: +14° 22' 21.95" N, +100°
34' 27.81" E.
Its historical background and period of construction are unknown.
(1) One of the exceptions is Wat Chao Ya, where brick kuti can be seen, but probably
with a function as meditation area and not as a monk’s living area.
|Text, map & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - March 2009
Reviewed September 2010, September 2011, December 2014
|(View of the ordination hall)
|(View of the - at present - roofless porch)
|(Inside the monastic hall)
|(View of the main Buddha image)
|(View of the Bell Tower in situ)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)
|Photographs by Tricky Vandenberg)