LAM KHU PAK SRA (ลำคูปากสระ)
Text, photographs & map by Tricky Vandenberg - March 2012
Lam Khu Pak Sra or the Ditch with the Mouth at the Pond is a defunct old canal which had
its origin at the old
Lopburi River - present Khlong Mueang - in the north of the city island. The
waterway ran into the swamp called today
Bueng Phra Ram. Opposite of the swamp
southwards in extension of Lam Khu Pak Sra ran
Khlong Pratu Thep Mi.

The Lopburi River ran into the canal bed at the Maha Thera Mai Sae Gate.
Wat Yan Sen, Wat
Chum Saeng, Wat Langkha Khao and Wat Langkha Dam stood on the west bank; Wat Suwan
Chedi stood on the east bank opposite Wat Yan Sen (all from north to south).

The canal has been largely filled up, as it was the fate of many other canals in the city of
Ayutthaya. Still some stretches of the canal can been found east of Wat Chum Saeng, continuing
under the present road  into Bueng Phra Ram park.

Lam Khu Pak Sra  is found an a
mid-19th century map, but the denomination of the temple sites
along its track is not the same as been given today. Instead of Wat Chum Saeng and Wat
Langkha Dam we find here respectively Wat Langkha Dam and
Wat Sangkha Phat. There is no
trace of Wat Chum Saeng on this map.

Phraya Boran Rachathanin's (1926) and the 1974 Fine Arts Department maps indicate the canal,
while the later 1993 FAD map does not show it anymore.
(Lam Khu Pak Sra near Wat Chum Saeng)
(Lam Khu Pak Sra feeding Bung Phra Ram)
(Lam Khu Pak Sra feeding Bung Phra Ram)