|WAT KHOK PHRAYARAM (วัดโคกพระยาราม)
|Wat Khok Phrayaram is a restored ruin located off the city island in the Phukhao
Thong plains 2 Km north of Ayutthaya in Phukhao Thong sub-district. Wat Phukhao
Thong and the Naresuan Memorial lie in its immediate vicinity.
In situ are the foundations of multiple monastic structures. The ordination hall (Th:
ubosot) can easily be determined.
Historians thought initially that this site was the location where a number of Ayutthayan
Royals were executed following the old Chronicles of Ayutthaya; but excavations in situ
excluded this thesis. The important historical site where these executions occurred, is
Wat Khok Phraya; located in the vicinity of Wat Na Phra Men and Wat Hatsadawat on
the north bank of the old Lopburi River.
Probably to make a distinction regarding the two identical named sites, the ruin in the
Phukhao Thong Fields has got added "aram" to its name; a comparative and superlative
form in Sanskrit; Wat Khok Phrayaram meaning as thus the "Greater Monastery of the
Mound of the Nobles".
We find though in the Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya the name of Wat Khok Phraya
mentioned. The Burmese under King Tabeng Shwe Thi - the founder of the second
Burmese Empire - invaded Siam in 1549 via the Three Pagodas Pass (Phra Chedi
Sam Ong) and Kanburi (in the vicinity of present Kanchanaburi). The Burmese army
arrived north of Ayutthaya and put its stockades up in the Lumphli plains. Khok
Phrayaram was the location where King Chakkraphat (r. 1548-1569) set up his army
formations to engage the Burmese in battle.  In the fight ensued, Queen Suriyothai
was killed by the King of Prae, when trying to help out her husband, when the latter's
elephant lost position in combat.
"At a time of the lunar day of great auspiciousness, the Reverend Astrologer
struck a victory gong, the conch shell trumpets resounded, the drums of Indra
throbbed, and King Cakkraphat set forth with the royal elephant [F: and crossed
the river]. The Chief Queen and both of the Princes followed in the retinue of the
King. The elephant guards, [BCEF: crowding around and supporting the troop of
elephants as they moved] [D: in a large crowd, some of whom capered and
danced along], advanced in the lead. There were soldiers riding at their posts on
the elephants’ necks and carrying [CDEF: guns and] long-handled elephant hooks
in their hands, and mahouts at their posts on the rear of each animal. Each
elephant was hemmed in on all sides by lines of guards. Then, following the
procession of the war elephant guards, came the companies of brave foot soldiers,
carrying swords, shields, bucklers, javelins, great spears, paired spears, banners,
tasseled lances, bows, and firearms, and crowded together to the right and the left,
front and behind. The sound of the marching soldiers and elephants shook the
earth as though it would collapse. King Cakkraphat, halting his royal elephant,
collected his soldiers and elephant troops and set up positions in formation at
Khok Phraya." 
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown. The site is not
indicated on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926. Wat Khok Phraya is
located in Geo Coord: 14° 22' 23.16" N, 100° 32' 24.79" E.
 The Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya - Richard D. Cushman (2006) - page 33 /
Source: Phan Canthanumat, British Museum, Reverend Phonnarat, Phra
Cakkraphatdiphong & Royal Autograph.
|Text & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - January 2010
Updated October 2014
|(View of the boundary wall)
|(Monastic remains in situ)
|(Fragmented Buddha statues in situ)
|(The former ordination hall)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)