|WAT NOI 1 (วัดน้อย)
|Wat Noi or the Little Monastery was situated off the city island in the northwestern
area on what are today Ayutthaya’s electricity plant and the main road leading from the
city towards Sena in Lum Phli Sub-district.
The temple belonged to a cluster of temples including Wat Sarari, Wat Khrut, Wat
Surintharacha and Wat Phai Lom. There are no traces remaining of this monastery,
although a small commemoration sala has been built on the west side of the main road
No 309 leading to Phukhao Thong, opposite the electrical plant. The sala is called Luang
Pho Chao Noi, free translated as the “Pavilion of the Reverend Father Little Prince”.
Although not confirmed, the Buddha image in the sala could have belonged to the former
The temple was not mentioned on the Phraya Boran Rachathanin’s map of 1926, but
indicated on a Fine arts Department map drafted in 1993. On the latter map the temple
was situated on the west of the road No 309.
Its period of construction and historical background are unknown.
The site is located in Geo Coord: 14° 21' 51.97" N, 100° 33' 8.53" E.
|Text, maps & photograph by Tricky Vandenberg - April 2009
Updated December 2013, January 2015
|(View of the Sala Wat Noi)
|(Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)