|WAT NOI 5 (วัดน้อย)
|Wat Noi or the Little Monastery (1) was located on the city island in the northwest of
Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai sub-district. The temple was located on the north bank of an
ancient canal called Khlong Chang Maha Chai. Wat Sop Sawan was on the western
side of the temple, while Wat Khok Chang stood on its east.
There are no traces anymore of the former monastery. A Thai Army camp has been
constructed on the site. The temple has been classified as disappeared.
Historical data about the monastery and its construction are unknown.
The site is mentioned on a mid-19th century map. On the latter map the monastery is
depicted with two chedi, on the west side of the old ring road and close to the Kaeo
Bridge crossing the Chang Maha Chai Canal.
Wat Noi is not found on Phraya Boran Rachathanin’s map drafted in 1926.
(1) น้อย = small, little.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - April 2011
Updated January 2015
|(Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N)