|WAT PA NAI (วัดป่าไน)
|Wat Pa Nai or the Monastery of the Inner Grove is a defunct monastery once located
on the city island outside the Historical Park in Pratu Chai Sub-district. The temple stood
on the present premises of the Chao Sam Phraya Museum, north of Rojana Rd.
There are no visual traces of the monastery left at ground level.
Its historical background and period of construction are not known.
The site is indicated on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's (PBR) map drafted in 1926. PBR
indicated this monastery in a marshy area formed by the confluence of Khlong Chakrai
Noi and a connecting canal towards Khlong Pratu Thep Mi; south of the old Talaeng
A mid-19th century map shows Wat Pa Nai in the same area, taken into reference the
Chakra Noi canal and the location of the main city tower (Ho Luang).
Wat Pa Nai was located in Geo. Coord.: 14° 21' 6.66" N, 100° 33' 42.65" E.
|Text & maps by Tricky Vandenberg - January 2009
Updated February 2011, January 2015
|(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
|(Detail of a 19th century map - map is orientated S-N)
|(Detail of a 1993 Fine Arts Department map -
Courtesy Khun Supot Prommanot, Director of the 3th
Regional Office of Fine Arts)