|WAT PHO PHUEAK 4 (วัดโพธิ์เผือก)
|Wat Pho Phueak or the Monastery of the White Bodhi Tree is located on the city
island in the southwest area of Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai Sub-district, west of Somdet Phra
Sri Nakharin Park. This area is still part of Ayutthaya's Historical Park.
Two restored monastic brick structures of the monastery remain, situated in between
Wat Pho Phueak (2) and Wat Wang Chai. The structures are situated within the moat
surrounding Wat Wang Chai.
Its historical background and period of construction are unknown.
The site is only indicated on a 2007 Fine Arts Department (FAD) map.
Author initially identified these ruins as being part of the Wat Wang Chai monastic
complex as neither Phraya Boran Rachathanin's 1926 map, nor the 1974 or 1993 FAD
maps mention a second Wat Pho Phueak in the vicinity of Wat Wang Chai. The reason
why FAD decided to designate these two structures to another temple - being Wat Pho
Phueak (4) - is not known.
Two other monasteries bearing the same name are located off the city island in the
northern area (Wat Pho Phueak 3 along the Chao Phraya River) and in the eastern area
(Wat Pho Phueak 1 in the Ayutthaya Provincial Sport Complex).
The restored foundations of Wat Pho Phueak are located in geographical coordinates:
14° 20' 32.59" N, 100° 32' 54.42" E.
|Text, maps & photograph by Tricky Vandenberg - August 2011
Updated March 2015
|(Restored brick foundation of Wat Pho Phueak)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)