WAT PHO PHUEAK 2 (วัดโผเผือก)
Wat Pho Phueak or the Monastery of the White Bodhi Tree is located on the city
island in the southwest area of Ayutthaya in Pratu Chai Sub-district, west of the
Phra Sri Nakharin Park. This area is still part of Ayutthaya's Historical Park.

In situ is a ruin covered in vegetation. Several foundations of walls and chedis are still
visible. On the site there is an abandoned construction from recent times.

Its historical background and period of construction are unknown.

The monastery is mentioned on a
mid-19th century map but here denominated Wat
(วัดไชยาราม). It is positioned in between Khlang (Wat) Wang Chai and
Wat Raeng. Wat Pho Phueak is indicated in an identical position on Phraya Boran
Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926.

Near Wat Chayaram was one of the former four western ferries across the old
River - at present the Chao Phraya River (1) - linking the monastery with Ban
Chi (Village of the Nuns) situated between
Wat Chai Watthanaram and Wat Sanam Chai
(2) [1]


(1) The Chao Phraya River has been deviated into the river bed of the old Lopburi River
in the post-Ayutthayan era anno 1857. See the essay:
Ayutthaya's ever-changing
(2) In Ayutthayan times there were twenty-two ferry routes between the main land and
the city island. In the western area, the three other crossings were: the crossing from the
Rear Palace to Wat Lot Chong, from Tha Dan Lom to Wat Kasatra and from Ban Chao
Phraya Phonlathep’s to
Wat Thamma. [1] See "The Boat & Ferry Landings of

Wat Pho Phueak was located in Geo. Coord.: 14° 20' 32.86" N, 100° 32' 51.99" E.


[1] Athibai Phaenthi Phra Nakhon Sri Ayutthaya kap khamwinitjai khong Phraya Boran
Racha Thanin- Explanation of the map of the Capital of Ayutthaya with a ruling of Phraya
Boran Rachathanin - Revised 2nd edition and Geography of the Ayutthaya Kingdom -
Ton Chabab print office - Nonthaburi (2007) - page 92.
View of the location
Remaining brick work
Remaining brick work
Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg - July 2009
Updated April/May 2011, March 2015
Detail of a 19th century map
(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy of the Sam
Chao Phraya Museum - map is orientated S-N / The
monastery is here denominated Wat Chayaram)
(View of the location)
(Remaining brick work)
(Remaining brick work)
(Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno
Detail of Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map - Anno 1926
(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)