|WAT THA SAI 3 (วัดท่าทราย)
|Wat Tha Sai or the Monastery of the Sand Landing was located off the city island in
the southern area of Ayutthaya in Samphao Lom Sub-district.
It was situated east and in the immediate vicinity of Wat Phutthaisawan, squeezed
between the latter and Khlong Khu Cham.
Its historical background and period of construction are unknown.
In the school east of Wat Phutthai Sawan, on the bank of the Chao Phraya River an
old brick wall became visible due to erosion of the river bank and flooding of the river.
This brick wall could have been the outer wall of Wat Tha Sai.
In April 2011 the construction of an embankment was ongoing along the river side and
this brick wall likely disappeared.
There was a boat ferry near the mouth of the Chakrai Noi Canal on its west bank in
connection with the landing at Wat Tha Rap. (1) 
In the manuscript "Testimony of the king from Wat Pradu Songtham", a document likely
compiled in the Early Ratanakosin Period, is written that there was a land market at Wat
Tha Rap in front of the house of Jao Sua Chi. There was a long row of sixteen
two-storey brick houses with shops in the lower storey and living quarters above; at the
entrance to this market was an iron forge, a shoe workshop, and a maker of red pipe
The site is not indicated on Phraya Boran Rachathanin's map drafted in 1926, but is
mentioned on a mid-19th century map. On the latter map the temple is named Wat Tha
Rap (Monastery of the Flat Landing).
Some remains of the temple were excavated by the Fine Arts Department (FAD) in
geographical coordinates: 14° 20' 29.05" N, 100° 33' 43.12" E in the vicinity of the
Brickwork was found in geographical coordinates: 14° 20' 27.12" N 100° 33' 36.59" E
on the premises of the Wat Phutthai Sawan School, east of Wat Phutthai Sawan.
Whether the remnants belong to the latter or to Wat Tha Rap, could not be ascertained.
(1) In Ayutthayan times there were twenty-two ferry routes between the main land and
the city island. The southern area had six ferries; the five other crossings were: the
crossing to Wat Phanan Choeng, Tha Hoi to Wat Pa Jak, Tha Phra Rachawangsan to
Wat Khun Phrom, Tha Dan Chi to Wat Surintharam and Tha Wang Chai to Wat Nak.
 See "The Boat & Ferry Landings of Ayutthaya".
 Athibai phaen thi phranakhon si ayutthaya - Explanation of the map of the Capital of
Ayutthaya with a ruling of Phraya Boran Rachathanin - Revised 2nd edition and
Geography of the Ayutthaya Kingdom - Ton Chabab print office - Nonthaburi (2007) -
 Phanna phumisathan phranakhon si ayutthaya: ekkasan jak ho luang [Geographical
description of Ayutthaya: Documents from the palace]. Edited by Winai Pongsripian.
Bangkok: Usakane, n. d. .
 Note on the Testimonies and the Description of Ayutthaya - Chris Baker - Journal of
the Siam Society, Vol. 99, 2011 - page 77 (paragraph on KWPS).
 Markets and Production in the City of Ayutthaya before 1767: Translation and
Analysis of Part of the Description of Ayutthaya - Chris Baker - Journal of the Siam
Society, Vol. 99, 2011- page 51.
|Text, maps & photographs by Tricky Vandenberg
Updated January 2016
|(Brick work in situ)
|(Brick work in situ)
|(Remains of the outer wall?)
|(Construction of an embankment in situ - April 2011)
|(Detail of a 19th century map - Courtesy of the Sam Chao
Phraya Museum - map is orientated S-N)
|(Detail of a 2007 Fine Arts Department GIS map -
Courtesy of the Fine Arts Department - 3th Region)